Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Wedding Block

With only 115 days left to go, I should probably let you all know that we created a hotel block. Since so few people are coming from far out of town, we only made a small block. Now, let me explain my reasoning behind this hotel:

Steven and I aren't leaving for our honeymoon until the week AFTER the wedding. The only other cruise option had us leaving the day  OF the wedding... from Texas... so we pushed it off a week. That meant that after the wedding we had several options. When discussing our options, the conversation went like this:

Rachel: Where should we stay after the wedding?
Steven: We could just come home?
Rachel: That's so depressing!
Steven: We could get a hotel room?
Rachel: I'll see what our options are.

So, about year ago after booking out honeymoon, I began looking into hotels we could have hotel blocks in and rooms for ourselves. I went city by city to see what our options are. With the wedding in Sonoma it seemed like the obvious choice to stay there. HA. The prices immediately made me change my mind. I looked at a map to see what other cities were options. Of course, there was Santa Rosa. Hotels in Santa Rosa are the most reasonably priced but if we were going to get a hotel room in Santa Rosa, why not just come home? Again, depressing. Petaluma seemed like the best option. It is close to Sonoma but far enough away that the prices are a little better.

The trouble with the hotels we found was that they either look like this:


And, surprisingly enough, the cheap hotels ran out of rooms before I could set up a hotel block!

Or like this:


Believe it or not, there were more expensive hotels we could have chosen for our hotel block. 

So, even though it seems incredibly expensive, the hotel we picked was actually the middle of the road in terms of prices we were offered AND each room had a small discount added for being part of a block. I added nine rooms for people to book, fully expecting less than that to even book them, and one larger room for Steven and I to book. This room, one of only four in the hotel, had to be big enough for me to get ready with my ladies the morning of the wedding. So, imagine my surprise when someone booked that room before we could do it!


Why would someone ELSE want a room THAT big and $100 extra dollars for the weekend???
.
Fear not, though, I added one of the other three rooms that size left which were luckily still available. Needless to say, though, some crazy person attending my wedding will also be staying in a huge room but for no good reason... 

In any case, if you need a room for the night, you can join our block!

No comments:

Post a Comment